The Hobbit: A Review

Like many geeks out there, and plain old movie-buffs, I was incredibly excited to see The Hobbit.

Well, the wait is finally over, and I’m here to tell you all about it. The Hobbit is, in some respects, the precursor to J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘Lord of the Rings’, but really is a standalone adventure told in a vastly different style. It concerns the story of one Bilbo Baggins of Bag End, and the journey he was caught up in, wherein he happened to acquire the One Ring. Now, I’m going to break this review down into two distinct sections, ‘Technical’, and ‘Story’, as the two really ought to be dealt with separately.

The Technical

Much has been made of director Peter Jackson’s decision to shoot the film in 45fps, a much higher speed than the usual that offers far greater image resolution and clarity. For around 20% of the film, it works beautifully, and the visuals are stunning. A lot of the action sequences, for instance, are spectacular. However, for the other 80%, it just doesn’t work. The incredible clarity makes a mockery of many aspects integral to the film – the prosthetics, costumes, and props in particular, which, in a fantasy adventure story, are predominant features. It undermines a lot of the high production value by making a lot of things look cheap, flat, or plastic.

Continue reading

2012 In Film

We’re rapidly approaching the end of the year (or the world, if you, like many morons, give credence to the Mayan calendar) and we all know what that means:

End of Year lists!

Yes, it’s that wonderful time where every two-bit magazine hack and blogging tool (that’s me) decides to trot out their selections of the best film/book/song/etc. So, given I’m currently exhausted and sleep eludes me like the practiced tease that it is, I thought I’d give it a whirl.

At the beginning of the year, I actually remarked on a few films I’d seen, so this will bring it full circle, which I think is nifty. It’s worth noting that the films I mentioned as being on the list of things to see, I have failed to watch. I even forgot they were on the list. At least I’ve remembered  there was a list, okay? I’ll get on that soon.

To recap, the fantastic films I saw at the beginning of this year were The Adventures of Tintin, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Shame, and Hugo. Of those, I would retain TTSS and Hugo, though the other two were notable.

In no particular order, the other films I’ve seen this year that are remarkable:

Continue reading